If you’re like most pet owners, you probably think of your veterinarian as the essential part of your pet’s healthcare team. And you’d be right – vets are crucial in diagnosing and treating many health issues. But what about the other members of your pet’s care team? Veterinary technicians are also vitally important, and play a number of important roles in keeping your pet healthy. In this post, we’ll take a look at what veterinary technicians do and why they’re so important. So read on to learn more about these unsung heroes of veterinary medicine!
A veterinary technician is:
- An animal nurse — First and foremost, veterinary technicians are animal nurses. They provide the bulk of nursing care for sick or injured pets and administer preventive care, such as vaccinations and parasite prevention, to healthy pets.
- A phlebotomist — Vet techs are skilled at finding veins in a fur-covered, moving target, whether blood samples need to be collected or an intravenous catheter needs to be placed.
- An anesthesiologist — When a pet undergoes surgery, a vet tech calculates their anesthetic drug doses, monitors their health status while under anesthesia, holds their paw, and ensures their comfort as they recover.
- A surgical assistant — During surgery, a vet tech is a veterinary surgeon’s right hand. They prep the surgery suite and the patient, then scrub in to assist where needed.
- A laboratory technician — When a pet needs X-rays taken, urine collected, or an ear swab evaluated, a vet tech is on the job. Their education and training allow them to snap the perfect “picture” on the first try, check urine samples for crystals and more, and spot yeast and bacteria on a microscope slide.
- An educator — When a pet owner needs help learning how to give their pet medication or has questions about what vaccinations their furry pal needs, a vet tech provides assistance. They love sharing their knowledge with other people who are passionate about pets.
During your furry pal’s appointment, our vet techs perform numerous health care tasks. Give us a call to schedule an appointment to see our incredible team members in action.